In 1865 an area at the corner of City Road and Parramatta Road was added to the University to provide a formal entrance.
The adjoining Victoria Park was proclaimed in 1870.
Gradually road access to the University grounds switched to the Parramatta Road entrance opposite Derwent Road, and a new gatehouse was built there in 1898. The avenue through Victoria Park was formally reduced to a right of way in 1930, and for the next 60 years the vista was eroded by new planting in the Park and a wall on the University boundary. In the 1990s South Sydney City Council restored the avenue as a pedestrian path with a bridge over the lake, and in 2002 the University completed work to reinstate the vista through its grounds.